Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Welding :D


So I "stick" welded today. These are my welds, The top is 6011 rod and the bottom much nicer is a 7018 rod. I'm not very good at it and needed to weld with my left hand. Which turned out to be ok. I had to slow down and move slower, I'm too used to MIG welding.

The difference is, for people who don't know, is SMAW or Shielded Metal Arc Welding is that you take a stick of filler metal that is covered in Flux, put it into an electrically charged handle, strike the surface, as it melts down you have to move your hand closer to the welding surface. This type of welding doesn't require any gas.

MIG welding has a wire feed in the handle. It has a constant speed that you can slow down or speed up depending on how much is needed in conjunction to how much electricity and argon gas are used when it comes to the thickness of the metal. So you just pull the trigger and go. Much less involved and you basically just pull across the surface at a constant speed and you don't really need to worry about moving closer to the metal.

Now I'm sitting at my post in the Monitor's Office waiting for someone to show up who wants to work tonight. There is two other people here. The Ceramic's monitor and a girl working in the Metal's studio.

It'll pick up in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment