Monday, November 5, 2012

Smaug, maybe this will help people to understand.

At the end of January 2010 my family lost my mom's oldest brother. It came to us as a shock especially since he had been released from the hospital after having a heart attack. 

I never admitted how much this hit me or how much this affected me. I ended up not being able to get out of bed for a few days and cried a lot in my room alone for a long time after the funeral. 

The same week that I lost my uncle, I was laid off for the first time. Needless to say, it was a bad week for me.

After being forcibly dragged to school by my loverly Dan Simpson, I decided to make Smaug. 

Uncle Carl loved Star Wars, Star Trek, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and all things Science Fiction. After cleaning out his house did nothing but prove how much of a nerd/geek/trekki/techie and any other word that can be attached to that. 

He also taught me everything I needed to know about computers and how to fix them. After his passing, I became the family tech support. 

I decided to make Smaug as an hommage to my uncle's memory. 

I made this dragon to work out my emotions and feelings that were flowing through me at this time in my life. I have a lot of things attached to this creation.

I have had a lot of people of late tell me to literally scrap out Smaug, never touch him again, or just start over completely. 

I almost tossed Smaug into the dumpster. I didn't, mostly because I realized that I would have gone right back in and gotten him out.

The point that I am trying to make is that sometimes people create works of art for reasons that aren't always apparent. So please don't try to discredit something especially if you don't know the back story. It may mean something more to the creator then you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment