Thursday, September 6, 2012

Art and whatnots

I have been having trouble lately with defining art.

For example what role or function it plays as well as what theory it fits best in.

Then there is high art. Historical references set aside.

These days "high art" means something completely different to me. It means art that was created while under the influence of some type of substance.

Now, the artwork that I create cannot come out of that. For instance it is a couple thousand year old practice that I am taking and using to create something with. It's not really that special as far as the process. It's hot, sweaty, and dirty, and you are more likely to forget to wash your hands when you eat lunch or pick your nose.

Nothing that special about it until someone makes a note that it is something that you don't hear most people doing. There. That's literally it. It's not common. That's the only thing that really makes it special. Yes there are talented people working with the process, but they aren't necessarily that special or better then other artists.

The point is, that if you are under some type of influence, you will be unable to safely preform the process. Mistakes will happen, and a person could be burnt, hit themselves with a hammer, or even hurt another person working near them.

Then their are the 2-D people. Other then using scissors or the mat cutter, you are less likely to hurt yourself. Unless you drink the turps.

Then you're screwed.

Too many artist and art students get high or drunk then create.

What the hell.

Yes I will admit that somethings that come out of that are pretty great. But does it really have to be every time? Unfortunately some people do.

Or they just get high and forget.

I just find it disturbing that someone must be high on something in order to create anything. I don't.

I don't need that sort of thing to be creative. I usually drink, then all I think about it frivolous things. Nothing worth making or creating. Just crap.

I don't get it. I don't need it.

Does that mean that my mind is more open and accepting of things to where I don't need anything like the such?

I know that I feel awesome after a few hours of blacksmithing. I love finishing smoothing in a manner that makes my signature.

I must be above all that insignificant garbage. Or something close to that.

Love,
Olivia

2 comments:

  1. What that all means is that you are more open to yourself. You trust yourself to revel in the things you love. I have always found that those who use substances for creativity and creation are closed in some part of their lives and use the lowering of inhibitions that these substances create to allow themselves to tap into the very thing they love. If that makes any sense. You are doing that which you love, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, love. I do believe that you are right. Lovers you so. :)

    ReplyDelete